the photoshop experiment

how it is I do whatever it is I think I do.

Friday, August 18, 2006

The boy~ with color


The context for the boy. He is the "Jack" of Jack and Inar, a book of my own writing, nearly finished. Inar not being pictured here. To Jack's left is Dr. Arthur Loveless and to his right is Adolphus M. Grimble.

In anycase, Jack always carries two matches in his pocket.

But that's not why were here.


Jack. With and without.


And then here....


Ok, the above picture, I colored his face/hands w/ a layer of Multiply and over it all layed a layer of a warm, dull red layer of Soft Light.


Here's what throws people. I colored his shirt in Multiply....


....copied the layer, changed the setting to Soft Light, made the color a little darker and redder. That's about it. For some reason everyone I've ever shown that too in real life has not believed me.


The hat and the pants followed the same idea of the shirt as far as coloring go.


A layer of Color with the opacity turned way down to unify the colors.


Colored the bag and such.....


Added shadows in Multiply.


More color balancing...


Cleaned up the edges with a layer of Screen.


Added some important highlights in Screen.


Notice the blue layer, and the warm red, both are Screen layers. Lighting.


And just another layer of a way low opacity Screen layer of orange for lighting.

And that's about it.

15 Comments:

  • At 8/18/2006 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! I love your illustrations - and the photoshop info is very interesting - thanks for posting!

     
  • At 8/18/2006 9:46 PM, Blogger Lea said…

    I was at first thinking that you had a lovely drawing style similar to that other guys wonderous blog with the little piano player on the roof in the rain....doh!.... this is a fantastic and generous blog Cory...as a photoshop beginner this is most valuable.. finally I understand multiply! .... greatly looking forward to the future posts.
    all the best,
    lea

     
  • At 8/19/2006 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This piece is fantastic!

     
  • At 8/19/2006 5:16 AM, Blogger AstridMueller said…

    that's just super great! and thanks for the insight on how you did this! awesome job

     
  • At 8/19/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    WOW! great job I love it!!

     
  • At 8/19/2006 2:26 PM, Blogger Darryl Young said…

    Absolutely gorgeous work!

    Thank you so much for sharing your Photoshop knowledge, it is invaluable.

     
  • At 8/19/2006 11:09 PM, Blogger L. A. Stern said…

    Cory, you are a god and we worship you!!!!

    Thank you for sharing so generously. You are creating lots of Karma .... and links to your site. I have a link to your site on my blog.

    Your story also sounds really intriguing. Wish you speed in finishing it so we can see it published and buy it!

    Best,

    Linda

     
  • At 8/20/2006 12:01 AM, Blogger Soul of the Rose said…

    Wow! I'm really impressed. Thank you for the detailed, step-by-step instructions. Great work!

     
  • At 8/20/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger "Maggie & Kevin" said…

    Fabulous illustrative style. I enjoyed seeing your process. I too use photoshop to enhance my illustrations.

     
  • At 8/21/2006 1:39 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    WOW Cory, this really helped me understand your process...Thanks so much for posting all of the tuts you post... great and informative =]

     
  • At 8/21/2006 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    beautiful work! loved seeing the work in progress too!

     
  • At 8/22/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger Pupu Sulaiman said…

    Ah what i understand is you mostly use Multiply blending mode for coloring. i get it..

     
  • At 8/22/2006 3:01 AM, Blogger Rita illustration said…

    Hi! Nice to see the different steps of how you work! I'm sure it's gonna be a very good book!
    /M

     
  • At 8/23/2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Kay Aker said…

    Thanks for this!

     
  • At 8/22/2007 1:52 AM, Blogger ming said…

    more than a great experiment! I will be reffering people to this post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home