the photoshop experiment

how it is I do whatever it is I think I do.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

a little bird watching


The Bird Watcher
has its roots back in a weird drawing I did in college (below) of a troll with wings and a top hat. I always liked it and just wanted to do something with it again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So, another doodle. There was a lot of these but this was the most... appropriate. I think.


And then the drawing to scan.


And this is where you will just have to believe. I don't have a file with the layers, so, oh well. just believe it. Geez. It was probably just mostly a lot of Normal and Multiply with some Softlight for color. Plus a beard.


Adding shadows w/Multiply... Notice Justin wearing the hat reference.


and the face. boo.


Here's some softlight of yellow on the right for some sunny joy and some blue on the left for... whatever.


more shadows w/Multiply..... plus a probably a little line drawing.


and.......... why not.


Now, more reference. Notice too that I make the canvas really wide for... whatever reason. I just do. In any case I can put my reference on there and pull colors if I like.


Working on the arm with Multiply...


Painting the folds in the sleeve here, with a layer of Normal.


And tightening things up, w/Normal. Basically just drawing over things till I like it.


don't freak out. the hat is about to change. I use the Liquify tool from time to time.


Hat + scarf.


And highlights on the scarf....


Just the sky. I wanted it to go from warm to cool, added on a Normal layer. And the bricks were probably a lot of layers of Normal.


HIGHLIGHT on the rim of the hat. For me it is moments like this that make everything worth it.


BLAM- we got shoulder bird. Just careful brushing and some various layers of Normal and Softlight.


I like to do a color w/Multiply over it sometimes because it seems to hold things together.


Darks in Normal.


Screen in some highlights unless you are that guy who can't handle it.


Just cleaning up w/Normal


Yellow bushes... put there with Normal, and darkened with Multiply.


Screen in the blue in the sky (unless....)


KABLAM~ and there was dark.


And then, just a textured sky. And a city. Oh yeah, and I did the wings. Again, probably just a lot of Normal and Softlight with a textured brush.


The Bird Watcher.

9 Comments:

  • At 6/16/2006 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that's awesome!
    i found your blogg in an newsletter of screenz.de

    really great work, it looks like a real painting.

     
  • At 6/16/2006 6:35 AM, Blogger Cory Godbey said…

    guten tag! you're it!~ har har!
    ich tötung myself.

    i took two years of german in college so i translated the entire site with my barehands in three seconds.

     
  • At 6/16/2006 1:00 PM, Blogger ArtistXero said…

    i stumbled upon your site by hitting the "next blog" tab on blogger repeatedly one day. Anyway love your style & stuff especially the biblical work you do. As the anonymous poster above said "it looks like a real painting" ;)

     
  • At 6/20/2006 6:58 AM, Blogger edian said…

    thanks, thanks and thanks!!!! I have learned a lot reading your blog. I hope you don´t mind I recomend this tutorial in my site.
    :)

    Great work!

     
  • At 6/29/2006 5:40 AM, Blogger Belinha Fernandes said…

    My God, Cory !So much talent!I started to upload some of my work yestarday (collage) and I'm already dazzled with the blogs I found.I like Photoshop a lot.I started to use it in February.But then I stopped.I painted a seagul, look!(http://www.fotolog.com/papelustro/?pid=14769680)
    One of this days I'll get to it again!Can I link your blog to mine?Thank you to share your talent and knowledge with us!

     
  • At 7/03/2006 1:35 PM, Blogger phototure said…

    Just wonderful...I use Painter along with photoshop to create some nice effects. I see here though...that photoshop alone can do awsome things. I found your blog through photoshoptv. anyone feel free to come check out my blog as well...it's not illistrations, just photography and tutorials for photoshop.

     
  • At 7/10/2006 5:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Long story short: Saw and illustration on a book cover. Loved it so I looked up who done it. Portland Studios. That was two years ago. Googled Portland Studios and found a list of the men behind the paintings including yourself. Spectacular work. Thanks for sharing so much technique with the "little people." :)

    You've previously mentioned the kind of paper you use. Do you also have a favorite pencil?

     
  • At 7/20/2006 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great works ! Very colourful and an own style, it's pure magic to see them. And what I appreciate most is that you share your wisdom with the rest of the world ! Thanks so much, I'm starting in photoshop and it's such a help. Keep up the good work & have a smashing day !

    Dimi

     
  • At 6/15/2007 11:18 AM, Blogger an9ie said…

    Although it is ultra-corny to start writing something with "Words cannot express ...", it is true, words cannot express how grateful I am that you have taken the time to post something like this.

    These guides are so valuable in helping newbies like me learn what seems to be some magical process that we could never asipre to.

    This blog is in the bookmarks and it's staying there forever!

    Thank you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home